Homes for Ukraine Logo

Frequently Asked Questions – Information for Refugees

What do I need to do in return for being sponsored?

Nothing. You should not be asked to pay, or work, in exchange for being sponsored. If anyone implies that you need to do something in return for being sponsored to the UK, you should not agree to be sponsored by them.

Does my sponsor receive anything in return for helping me?

Yes. Subject to checks made by the Local Authority, they will receive £350 per month from the Government for providing support for you.

What if I arrive and I do not get on with my sponsor?

The Local Authority will be able to provide help for you if the sponsorship does not work out. You do not have to stay with someone if it does not feel comfortable.

How do I know my sponsor is a safe person to live with?

All sponsors will have housing and security checks carried out for them by the Local Authority. These checks should be carried out before you arrive, or as soon as possible after you arrive.

The UK Government will be carrying out security checks on the sponsor. When you apply for your visa, you will be asked to include the details of your sponsor, so that they may carry out these checks.

While we make every effort to ensure matches are well made, it is not possible for Reset to guarantee that matches are safe or appropriate.

Will my sponsor charge me for living in their home?

You should not be charged rent while being hosted in someone’s home.

If your sponsor is offering you a property, they might ask you to pay for utilities (e.g. gas/electricity, water, etc) and council tax. However, they should discuss this with you prior to agreeing to a match. You will be entitled to register to receive social welfare benefits when you are in the UK, which will help toward these costs.

How do I apply for a visa once I have a match?

At Reset we recommend that your sponsor completes the visa application.

The visa application will require information about you, any others who are sponsored with you, and about the sponsor, so you will need to share information with one another. You should make sure you are happy to share these details and pass on any details securely (e.g. via email or WhatsApp).

Reset are unable to give advice for visa applications. If you need assistance, we recommend you contact Ukraine Advice Project UK where qualified immigration professionals can help you.

How do I get to the UK?

The UK Government says that you will need to arrange your travel to the UK. Many travel services are offering free or discounted journeys. Your sponsor should be aware of some of these options.

What will I be able to do when I am in the UK?

You will be given the right to work, access healthcare, schools and social welfare benefits. There is more information about life in the UK here.

What happens after I have been sponsored for six months?

You and your sponsor will discuss what will happen at the end of the initial six months of sponsorship. You might decide together that you are happy to extend your stay with them. Alternatively, your sponsor and the Local Authority will be able to provide advice and guidance for onward accommodation.